Tonight, I finally found it in me to fire up my XAMPP installation and make modifications to HemingwayEx. Things have again changed quite a bit in WordPress 2.3, especially with the way categories are handled now and the added support for Tags, and this means a lot of changes in the theme as well.
The major changes that I made are:
- Got rid of the ‘Check for Updates‘ feature. I never really got it to work properly, so I have gotten rid of it altogether. Also, I don’t see this theme changing so regularly that one would need to check for updates periodically.
- Got rid of the Asides feature. It was earlier possible to assign a category for Asides and then display those posts separately. But I haven’t really been able to add a whole lot more into this feature. Also, to use it, I had to provide a widget and a block implementation as well. I figure it is better for everyone to just use a plugin for setting up asides on their sites.
- Fixed Tagging, by replacing UTW functions with the native WP functions. This also meant that I have gotten rid of the Tag and Tags templates. Another thing that UTW provided was a way to display related post. I had to remove this as I couldn’t find a good plugin to replace this.
I am currently waiting to fixing some CSS issues and trying to figure out how to (and if I want to) add internationalization support. I don’t know when I would be able to find time for that…