I recently upgraded my office computer from Gusty to Hardy and VMware player stopped working for me. I looked around a bit and found a nice step-by-step guide to get it up and running. Here are the steps:
- cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
- cp vmmon.tar vmmon.tar.orig
- sudo tar xvf vmmon.tar
- cd vmmon-only/include/
- sudo vi vcpuset.h
- change line 74 from: #include ‚Äúasm/bitops.h‚Äù to: #include ‚Äúlinux/bitops.h‚Äù
- rm vmmon.tar (return to the folder where you decompressed the tar file)
- sudo tar cvf vmmon.tar vmmon-only/
- sudo rm -rf vmmon-only/
- sudo vmware-config.pl
To save you some time, I have uploaded the fixed vmmon.tar, that you can use to replace the original with. Just untar the vmplayer package, download vmmon.tar and cp it to
<vmplayer_installer_dir>/lib/modules/source/ and then start the installation process.
This same process should work for VMware Server and Workstation as well.